Irish Moss (Chondrus crispus) is a dark purple seaweed that grows in small, bushy clumps about the size of a small fist. Historically, it’s been used to make everything from puddings to medicinal drinks to toothpaste to beer.
Well known as a thickener and emulsifier, it releases a gelling agent called carageenan when boiled. This makes it a vegan, gluten-free, corn-free alternative to gelatin, flour and corn starch.
Nutritionally, Irish moss has a broad spectrum of minerals, plus vitamins, fiber, essential amino acids, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Word to the wise: It only takes a small amount of Irish Moss to gel something. Overdo it and you may end up with a solid brick! Depending on the recipe, ratios are 1-part Irish moss to anywhere from 4 to 16 parts liquid.
A note about sourcing: Sun-bleached Irish Moss, recognizable for its golden color, is popular because the aroma and flavor are more mild. At Heritage Seaweed, we prefer Irish moss in its naturally harvested state because it retains more of its nutrients.
- Pudding, ice cream & other desserts. Blancmange, a simple European-style pudding, is the most famous example.
- Soups, broths & gravies. Thicken and up the nutritional factor without using gelatin, bones or other animal products.
- Smoothies. Sea moss is currently in vogue as an ingredient in health-focused smoothies. Going further back, “Irish Moss” is the name of a popular Jamaican drink featuring the seaweed and coconut milk, plus flavorings like cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Gummies. Chondrus crispus is a nutrient-dense alternative to other gelatin bases.
- Skincare gel. Easy to make in a few minutes--just soak, boil and blend or strain--Irish moss gel is probably the nicest thing you can put on your skin.
Maximum order limit
Purchases of this item are LIMITED TO 1 POUND (16 OUNCES) PER CUSTOMER EVERY 3 MONTHS. Putting more in your cart (or reordering multiple times) will result in your order being canceled. Trying to skirt this will result in cancellation of your order. Unfortunately, we will need to refund you minus the transaction fee that we incur. Our supply is limted. Thank you for understanding.
About the harvester
Atlantic Holdfast is a small company working to sustainably hand-harvest the highest quality sea vegetables from the Gulf of Maine. Our harvesting operation is based on a remote island in outer Penboscot Bay, 7 miles off Stonington, ME, where the strong currents, active surf, and full exposure to the force of the open ocean have allowed these seaweeds to thrive for millennia.